It’s so cool, Brewster!
Specialist Blu-ray and DVD label Eureka! has announced the UK release of Fright Night, one of the best ‘80s horror films – and one of the best horror-comedies ever – in a brand new dual-format DVD/Blu-ray special edition.
17-year-old Charley Brewster (William Ragsdale) is just an ordinary suburban teenager, until he becomes convinced that his handsome new neighbour, Jerry (Chris Sarandon), is a vampire, with a deadly taste in young women. When his best friend, his girlfriend and even his own mother refuse to believe his outlandish tales about the newcomer, Charley turns to TV horror host Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowall, playing a hilarious cross between Peter Cushing and Vincent Price), once famous as the ‘Great Vampire Killer’ of hoary old horror movies, but now a washed-up actor whose ‘Fright Night’ TV show has just been cancelled. Can these mere mortals save Charley, his best friend Billy and his sweetheart Amy (Amanda Bearse) from the wrathful bloodsucker’s toothsome embrace? Charley is betting his life that they can…
Recently remade (to, it has to be said, brilliant effect) with the late Anton Yelchin as Charley, Colin Farrell as Jerry, and David Tennant as Peter Vincent, Fright Night stands alongside An American Werewolf in London and Shaun of the Dead as one of those rare films that can make you laugh even as it scares you rigid – and Eureka!’s extras-packed special edition is exactly the way to reclaim the original 1985 film’s primacy. Here’s a look at the special features:
- 4K digital restoration
- Original stereo PCM soundtrack and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio options (on the Blu-ray)
- English subtitles for the deaf and hearing-impaired
- You’re So Cool, Brewster! A new two-hour version of the definitive 2016 documentary on the making of Fright Night, focusing on the first film, created exclusively for this release
- What is Fright Night featurette, a 2016 video piece featuring cast and crew interviews (BLU-RAY ONLY)
- Tom Holland: Writing Horror, a 2016 video piece featuring interviews with Holland and his collaborators (BLU-RAY ONLY)
- Rowdy McDowall: From Apes to Bats, a 2016 video piece featuring archival footage of McDowall and cast and crew interviews (BLU-RAY ONLY)
- Fear Fest 2 2008 reunion panel featuring Tom Holland, Chris Sarandon, William Ragsdale, Stephen Geoffreys, Amanda Bearse, Jonathan Stark and moderated by Rob Galluzzo (BLU-RAY ONLY)
- Shock Till You Drop Present Choice Cuts with Tom Holland and Ryan Turek, a three-part video interview on the film (BLU-RAY ONLY)
- The full electronic press kit, featuring extensive on-set interviews and behind-the-scenes footage (BLU-RAY ONLY)
- Stills and memorabilia from Tom Holland’s personal collection (BLU-RAY ONLY)
- G-rated and R-rated theatrical trailers (BLU-RAY ONLY)
The limited edition steelbook version (exclusive to Zavvi) also features an exclusive new essay by Craig Ian Mann – although it was limited to 1,000 copies and seems to have been sold out already.
Eureka! have blessed the film with a brand new trailer, which we’re delighted to say you can see exclusively here.
FRIGHT NIGHT is released on dual format DVD/Blu-ray in April 2017 and you can pre-order here.